Insurance: A Guide for the Masses

« Back to Home

5 Reasons You Need Non-Owner Car Insurance

Posted on

If you're a licensed driver and you don't have a vehicle, you can still get car insurance. This type of car insurance is called a non-owner insurance policy. There are a few specific instances where someone who doesn't have a car may want to get a non-owner car insurance policy.

#1: To Maintain Continuous Coverage

Car insurance providers look at how long you have had car insurance, and if you have had any gaps in car insurance coverage. If you owned a car, and now you don't, but you plan to again, it can be a good idea to get a non-owner car insurance policy when you sell your vehicle to maintain car insurance coverage. When you purchase a car again, this will allow you to enjoy lower insurance rates.

#2: To Regularly Rent Cars

If you frequently rent cars, getting a non-owner car insurance policy may be more affordable than paying the fee for liability coverage whenever you rent a vehicle. If you have a credit card, they may provide collision damage as a benefit of being a cardmember. If not, you will still need to purchase a collision damage waiver from the rental car company to cover collision damage.

Non-owner car insurance will also come into play if you use an alternative car rental service. With a non-owner policy, you will get supplemental liability coverage. Like with a regular car insurance company, you will want to make sure you have additional collision damage coverage.

#3: Borrow Other People's Cars

When you borrow someone else's car, their insurance should cover any fees associated with any accidents, based on their coverage. However, if the liability payout for the accident exceeds the owner's insurance coverage, as the driver of the vehicle you, you could be held personally responsible for any additional liability charges. If you have non-owner car insurance, those liability issues will be covered by your insurance plan.

#4: Need Car Insurance for Driver's License

In most states, to get a driver's license or to renew your driver's license, you need to have car insurance. The state government may refer to it as "proof of financial responsibility," but basically, it means you need to carry some form of vehicle insurance if you want to be issued a driver's license in that state.

#5: Need an SR-22 Form

If you had some severe driver infractions, to maintain or get your license back, you might be required to submit an SR-22 form. This is a legal form generated by a car insurance provider that states you have the minimum required liability coverage for that particular state. You can get an SR-22 form with a non-driver insurance policy. 

If you find yourself in one of the situations above, reach out to insurance providers like Pat Dickey State Farm Insurance to discuss your options.